Name of the Award:
AFPC Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada Award for Excellence in Research or Innovation in Assessment of Competence
Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada
To forge external partnerships and give recognition of support for PEBC. To recognize excellence in the area of assessment of competence in the field of Pharmacy.
- A suitable framed certificate bearing the logos of AFPC and PEBC will be presented to the recipient at the annual meeting of the Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada.
- PEBC will provide $3,000.00 for this annual award which will include the following:
- A cash award of $1,000.00 for the recipient
- Reimbursement to the recipient for air/rail travel expenses, including return economy-class airfare, from his/her residence to the site of the AFPC Annual General Meeting to receive the award.
- Reimbursement of accommodation expenses at the Conference Hotel
- Reimbursement of meal expenses to a maximum of $35.00 per day.
- PEBC will approach AFPC to consider sponsoring the award recipient for any conference fees related to the AFPC Annual General Meeting.
- Each candidate must be an active member of the Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada.
- The candidates for the Award shall be contributing to development in the area of assessments through innovative work in conducting research, seminars, workshops, conferences, committees, or publications.
- Evidence shall be presented regarding the impact of the candidates’ work including recognition of excellence by peers and/or students.
Procedures for Nominating Eligible Candidates:
- Candidates may apply for their nomination or shall be nominated by at least two AFPC members (see AFPC application form).
- The nominees shall sign the nomination form indicating their willingness to let their names stand.
- The nominators or applicants shall submit a letter indicating why the innovation of the nominees is significant and describing the impact it has had within their Faculty, College or School and its’ applicability beyond their institution.
- The application shall include a complete, current curriculum vitae, provided by the nominee. The c.v. shall include information concerning the nominee's academic training and career, including positions held; honors and awards; peer reviewed grants; peer reviewed publications; invitational presentations; offices held in scientific or learned societies; editorial or advisory positions held with scientific or learned publications; visiting professorships; postgraduate fellows and graduate students directed, along with titles of projects; graduate or research courses or seminars conceived, taught, or coordinated; relevant collaborations with other researchers; and such other information, including unpublished manuscripts, which may be relevant.
- The nominees shall submit a portfolio in PDF format of no more than 25 pages (excluding appendices), following the outline below:
DESCRIPTION OF THE RESEARCH OR INNOVATION 40%
- Describe intent and reasons for conducting/implementing the research or innovation
- State specific objectives/desired outcomes that the research or innovation addresses in the area of competency assessment
- May include sample supporting materials (e.g., assessment materials forms that evaluate the assessments)
- Describe or provide examples of the methods used to conduct the research or implement the innovation (e.g., what the student does, what the instructor does)
- Describe the overall results of the research/innovation
EVIDENCE OF IMPACT ON COMPETENCY ASSESSMENT 40%
- Examples may include student and peer evaluations of the innovation
- May discuss how the evidence suggests that the research/innovation met the stated objectives/desired outcomes. May include student work samples, tables, etc.
- Discuss how easily the research or innovation might be implemented in other Pharmacy settings
PERSONAL REFLECTIONS 10%
- Describe what makes the research or approach/materials innovative in the area of assessment of competence in the field of Pharmacy
- What does this research/innovation add to existing information in this area?
- Discuss what was successful and unsuccessful
- Describe any modifications planned and the rationale for those modifications
Method of Selection:
- Prior to September 30 of each year, the Executive Director of AFPC shall inform all members of the terms of reference, criteria, and application procedures for the AFPC-PEBC Award.
- Applications, including all relevant materials and documentation as outlined in "Procedures for Nominating Eligible Candidates", must be received by Email in PDF format (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the Executive Director of AFPC no later than March 1, 2017. This includes the standardized award application form - see pages three and four of the AFPC Awards Booklet.
- The Awards Committee of AFPC shall review all nominations and select the candidate who, in their judgment, best meets the criteria for the Award.
- The Awards Committee may also choose to solicit opinions from recognized experts regarding the eligibility of the candidate for the award.
- The Awards Committee shall make their selection no later than March 31st, 2017 and forward the name of the winning candidate to the Executive Director of AFPC, who shall in turn inform the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada after appropriate ratification of the Committee's decision by the AFPC Executive.
- Presentation of the Award shall be made at the annual meeting of the AFPC.
- The successful candidate must agree to attend the appropriate AFPC annual conference to receive the Award.
- No individual may receive the Award more than once in any five (5) year period.
- If there is no suitable candidate, the Award shall not be given in a particular year.
- Nothing shall preclude the presentation of the AFPC-PEBC Award posthumously, provided the candidate was not deceased prior to twelve (12) months before the presentation of the Award.
|AFPC PEBC Award for Excellence in Research or Innovation in Assessment of Competence
See Awards book for details.
Submission of award applications should occur by Email on or before the due date indicated for each award to Harold Lopatka.
|2016-2017 Awards Book|